18 June 2010

a bit of fluff & fun for the whole family . . .

Greetings all,
Do you ever stop your children in their tracks with your handy craft??  I had mine spell bound this evening when i decided to switch from my studio sewing machine, to some cosy lounge craft & making pom poms. 
I had picked up these sweet soft balls of pretty coloured wool mid week with the intention of making pom poms for headbands.  So i pinched some cardboard from a project one of my girls was working on (later found out it was actually important, ooppss) i cut out doughnuts (a champagne flute made a good measure to trace) & i started poking wool round & round & round & round.  As i got to the end of the thread which i cleverly doubled over to do the job in half the time, i tried to remember how i used to make them as a child.  I don't like following instructions & i like making my own patterns & templates, so i winged it!!
Somehow i managed to cut the wool edges & tie it all together without it falling to pieces & da dah, pom poms + a round of applause from my wide eyed children!!  How could i possibly have gone so long in life without this joy??

Of course, there were instant requests for pom pom scarves & toys, giant novelty pom poms & more, clearly i appeared to know what i was doing.  I think in the light of day, i'll try my luck at larger sizes, so i can do triple pom pom headbands (different colour & size pom pom combinations) & see how time saving it is to do quadruple ply.  Personally, i just like saying the word Pom Pom!!  Or Pomme Pomme, oh la la. 
Thanks for all your well wishes about me being unwell yesterday.  As suspected, i was only down for one day with my sore throat, it didn't eventuate into anything & was nothing a giant hot chocolate couldn't soothe today at Shop Handmade, ahhhhhh.  We're very lucky in this household, the children rarely get ill either, they're much more likely to endure a sports injury!!  They have never been runny nose or coughy, vomity bug type of children, yet they run around barefoot in knickers in Winter in freezing CANBERRA!!  It's zero when we head to school each morning, do you think any of them wear their school jackets??  Maybe we all should do that??!!  Brrrr, no thanks.  Have happy weekends everyone.  Love Posie

11 comments:

Brenda said...

Now you can give each of your children a pom pom doughnut, ball of wool.....instant production line!

Glad to read you're feeling much better!

Love Brenda.

Ruby Star said...

i love that the kids were spellbound by the pom pom making. such fun. what is it with kids not feeling the cold? enjoy your weekend T x

Liz said...

Gorgeous pinks, it's years since I made pom poms! Hmm, nearly 13yr-old granddaughter will be here this week for the first week of her holidays. If I can get her off the sewing machine and away from the cake mixer pom poms could be everywhere...!!
Lizzie
xxx

bee said...

Oooh pom poms - how fun! I remember making them just like that in school.. then sticking googly eyes on them and giving them names heheh! I actually have a round-shaped clipped box hedge in my garden.... his name is 'Monsieur Le Pom Pom'... no I am not crazy, I just like to name my plants :)

moose and bird said...

Hi Posie,
I am also a lover of pom poms. I recently bought a little contraption from Jackobindi which makes pom poms. Haven't tried it yet, so don't know if it is quicker than the old cardboard circle way I used when I was a child. Hoping to make some pom pom cushions. How fun. Can't wait to see your head bands. xo

Kylie said...

:) glad that they were suitable impressed.

I do have said gadget for these and make them super easy:) You sould get the kids into some pompom action:)

Glad to hear that you are all well. Funny you say that the kids have not had the lurgies down there - We were flu and common cold free in Wagga and Pucka and whammo - hit with it here - QLD have no idea of how to keep there germs to themselves and STAY AT HOME when they are sick (can you tell that I am just a little over it!) No wonder the swine flu had a party up here last year.

Cathie said...

ahhh pom poms! now that's definitely a childhood memory.
hugs to you Ms Posie, have a fabulous weekend ♥

Miss Prudence said...

I remember growing up in Canberra and my sister and I would race each other to the garden hose. First one there would then turn on the tap full bore and aim the nozzle at the other, now the water would be frozen of course due to below zero temps - finally the pressure would force a shard of ice at break neck speed out of the hose....heh heh, dangerous and very exciting! Of I would NEVER share this with any young child in Canberra today! But we wore our parkas!

Becky said...

In the Patons books they are always called Pom Pons. Looks silly and I have never heard anyone say Pom Pon...

Sally said...

Pom poms - what a great idea.

picciolo said...

Pom poms are great, how lovely for your children to be so impressed, their requests will keep you busy! Glad you are feeling better too
: )