07 March 2012

those flash-before-your-eyes weeks & it's only Wednesday

Greetings all,
I feel like a year has flown by in a moment, so busy!!  One thing i am really loving while recovering from hand surgery, is taking time with my children.  My eldest is helping with cooking (saucepans weigh SO much), my middle girl is very enthusiastic with washing (the boring part - folding, sorting & putting away), my 3rd girl is my heat pack warmer & cushion positioner, not to mention vacuumer, gardener & puppy feeder, then my boy, well at 8, unless he can drive his sisters to school, he's just here for cuddles & dimples.
Why has my week flown by??  Well i really miss my husband & i'm guilty of wishing time away until i see him next & already this week i've . . . 
met with my wonderful hand surgeon, he's so pleased with the results & recovery, concerned about my numb left thumb, but he'll check again in 2 months.  My eldest had a Moderation Day, where all the private high school children (it seems) have a day off school (year 12 had classes/ tests) & converge on every shopping centre in Canberra.  I know this as i took my sweet teen to the cinema in the south, then shopping in the city centre, with a grocery top up in the north.  Teenagers EVERYWHERE.
  While we waited for the primary school bell, we indulged in ice chocolates, mmmm.
 Then a swimming carnival.  As swimmers, my children make great runners, but this young lady has started coming 4th in all her races now, great improvement.  She took her role of vice house captain seriously, leading cheer leading & entering all the races - for the house points!!
 My sequined child was exhausted & only swam one race, it was nice to hang out with her.
 As my boy is a child of 2004 vintage, this was his FIRST competitive swimming carnival & he swam his heart out.  Dressed in anchor shorts & boat shoes, he looked more yacht ready than swimmer, but he got a place in every race, with a 1st in breast stroke.  We might finally have a swimming ribbon to add to the athletics ones in the study nook.

Poof, my hands are aching, i really do need to allow 6 months for them to repair, no boxing classes for me!!  I normally assist at the carnival, stop watch in hand, but it was fun to relax & be a spectator, massage my numb thumb.  So happy to be pulling back on everything in my world other than my family, i love looking at their faces, they are growing so fast - how did i suddenly have a child in year 8??!!  When i hug & kiss her in the school carpark, she still says 'love you mummy' ok, under her breath, but yay.  Love Posie

14 comments:

The Accidental Housewife said...

"  As swimmers, my children make great runners"
That made me lol!

I was wondering where the influx of teenagers came from! they need to issue a radio warning or something ;)

cheryl @ nefotlak. said...

so glad to hear that your hands are healing well. and you're right- it's good to take in all that is our children - they grow up way too fast.
hugz from here.
cheryl xox.

Jan Maree said...

What a cute bunch and they have all done so well. You must be so proud of all of them!

Sindy said...

I think you should embrace the numb thumb - it could be your signature "thing", poking people with it, putting it in naked flames, lifting cars with one thumb, attaching bulldog clips and pegs, hanging objects from it - the possibilities are endless... ;-)

Mum on the Run said...

What a posse to be proud of!
I love your perspective here.
Happy healing to you.
:-) xxx

Seaweed and Raine said...

What an awesome bunch of children you have! :) You have every right to be proud of them. I'm so glad they are being super helpful around the house - it DOES make quite a difference when you have extra help, doesn't it?
Mr.8, well done matey! You're a little legend! :)

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

That is awesome, love the enthusiasm, glad the hear the wrists/hands are making a mends.x

TexWisGirl said...

i just adore those beauties of yours! one is just as precious as the next. i know you are in heaven, being able to spend more quality time with them as you recuperate. soak it up. every moment...

polkadotpeticoat said...

Be patient Momma with the healing your doing amazing....your kids are so darn cute....

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Every little bit helps, what good kids! Take it easy and mend x

The Provincial Homemaker said...

Glad your hands are continuing to improve. Sounds like you had a lovely weekday date with your eldest - nice that you could spend some time with just her. It must be hard to balance that with your husband away.

Greer said...

Hi Jennie,
Hi back from me, fellow old friend of Wol's. What a funny coincidence. I can't wait till my kids can help with the washing!

Greer x

Margie said...

So great you look at the positive side of life Posie. A heck of a way to settle down, but you know, everyone's rising to the occasion and helping, and life lessons are being learned. Keep massaging that thumb!

Bron said...

I know what you mean ...I am wondering how it is that my eldest would have been 16 on Friday...am I really that age and where did all the time go?
Keep resting those hands. x