19 April 2012

our creative space . . . 'my mother's sausage rolls'

Greetings all,
School holidays always result in party food baking - makes the days more festive.  I've always made my own sausage rolls, not because i'm a hero, i'm righteous & think frozen ones taste like cardboard & bakeries are too expensive.  I'm visiting my sister for the day in the country & she asked if i would make Mum's sausage rolls (originally based on The Australian Women's Weekly 1960's culinary bible recipe.)  Now my big sister has NEVER asked me to bake anything (she is the effortless cook) so i jumped at the chance to impress her.
The basics are - process carrots, onions, bread . . . or overprocess if you're posing for a blog photo & Mummy has messy hands & can't press the buttons on the camera & is taking forever!!  Carrot, onion & bread need not be puree.
Add to onions, carrots & bread - some tomato paste, crushed/ minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil & whatever other herb (dry or fresh) takes your fancy.  Rosemary would be delicious, it was raining outside, so skipped fresh herbs.  Parsley makes them officially gourmet.  Really.
As i was prepared to make a dozen dozen sausage rolls, i chose 1.5kg of various minces, why not??  I had a thumping headache & couldn't be bothered to go to the butcher for sausage mince, so just squeezed mince out of sausages, da dah, SAME thing. 
All ingredients are raw, you can't taste-as-you-go, just wing it, there are no rules or quantities in  sausage roll making - mince, herbs, pastry, seasoning = hard to go wrong!!
Lay out defrosted puff pastry on lightly floured bench tops, spread sausage filling in 2 rows per sheet.  Slice down the centre of each sheet & brush centre edges with egg yolks (for sticking).  Mum used to do 3 rows per sheet, i like it a little chunkier & less explosive (if you know what i mean - meat bursting out of pastry.)
Roll up & wash top of each pastry join with egg yolk, we were generous = golden brown finish.
Slice into bite size pieces - you'll get 8-9 mini sausage rolls her strip, more if you took the time to roll the pastry sheets a little thinner.  Cleaning flour & egg yolk off benches is torture.
Bake in a hot oven.  I seem to bake everything on round pizza trays, but big square ones would be more efficient.  I also used a tonne of baking paper as they ooze a little fat.  Our oven heats unevenly, so i spin & change shelves during baking, i love creating extra work for myself.  
 Oh they are so good straight from the oven, but also freeze well.  My mother always made a triple batch, froze them for us while we were at Uni or going to night clubs & needed a snack.  She'd send my husband back to his barracks with them on Sunday nights, a piece of home & future-mother-in-law bribery to please marry the last child & take her off our hands.  I have been known at children's parties to give Daddies lolly bags filled with frozen sausage rolls for later. 
If i had more time, i would have made a delicious tomato relish - i loathe tomato sauce with a passion & no, you don't need tomato sauce with my juicy tastey sausage rolls. 
I did up a box for my sister & seeing i was off to a Tania McCartney book launch & reading at the National Library of Australia last night, smelling like sausage rolls, i popped some for her children (frozen for their lunch tomorrow) in a cute little retro box, as a foodie giftie treat.

The event was such fun, great atmosphere & i bumped into a lovely Navy wife, dear designer friends & the mother of a girl who does cross country & volleyball with my eldest.  Funnily enough we got talking, security had to march us out as alarms were sounding, the library was closed . . . it was just THAT good a launch - no one wanted to leave!!  Want to win a copy of Tania's new book Beijing Tai Tai (last day) enter here.  Good luck!!
Thanks for the gorgeous support in my last post & happy creative space invading today folks, love Posie

23 comments:

Tania McCartney said...

What a night!!! SO wonderful to have you and Poppet Posie there - THANK YOU for my beautiful Penguin board game and my sausage rolls in the divine retro tin - I AM BEYOND SPOILED! May everyone have a friend like you. xxx

Tania McCartney said...

Oh, and can I just say - your post title 'my mother's sausage rolls' - I so get that these are special to you - it's brought tears to my eyes. I have 'my mother's Christmas cake'. I know what this means. xxx

Jan Maree said...

You just can't beat home made sausage rolls and to have a willing helper or two -bliss! Hmm maybe I need to make a batch! Thanks for the inspiration

polkadotpeticoat said...

These look delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

It was a valuable experience for me to go through this webpage. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you discover very good advice and make an effort to interpret it properly. I am going to browse this web site ofttimes on my PC. Thanks for sharing

CHD said...

I hate sausage rolls, usually. But, have never had a go at making them. I might give it a go. Great knowing exactly what is in them. Thanks for the recipe. Cx

LionessLady said...

Homemade sausage rolls are the bomb! Feel free to send some my way... these look particularly delicious. Love the cheating way of squeezing out your own sausage mince!!! Will totes be storing that titbit away for my next party!!!!

Jen said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Ive always loved sauasage rolls and your sound so delish!!

Woollybutthill said...

Thank you for your great how to make sausage rolls with photo's. They look fabulous. I will share with my friend your link so she can finally understand what I was babbling on about. I was describing how to make them last week and then went and made some myself to share with her. You are thousands of miles away from me but on the same wavelength! I just stripped sausage mince from sausages adding my extras. This week has been homemade ice cream as we have so many eggs but to balance out and use up the egg whites I added pavlova's to the menu. Happy cooking, M.

lamina@do a bit said...

YUM!!! I want to make those... they are making me hungry :)

The Provincial Homemaker said...

Yum. Definitely worth the effort compared to the 'know not what is in them' bought variety.

Maxabella said...

YOu can't beat a homemade sausage roll. They are an easy way to win hearts. Thanks for sharing your mum's recipe, Jen. x

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

I am a sucker for a goot sausage roll recipe. my friend adds a cup of cooked brown rice, and I tell you - they are so scrummy! Love your helpers too! B xx

Anonymous said...

I am a sausage roll fiend...love making my own...yum...but will admit to tomato sauce...a vice of mine...lol Tania is such a talented writer. xx

Claireyhewitt said...

My friends used to always go on about my Mums sausage rolls, she couldn't ever tell me the recipe, which is mainly because there isnt one. But she has now shown me the way it works - throw in whatever you have! Minimum three vegies, lots of herbs, lots of sauces/chutneys and make your own bread crumbs that day. The rest will just work out!

Now I want one.

Polly said...

YOu know, home made sausage rolls are one of my most favourite things to make, you can add whatever you please and they still taste good and it lessens the guilt when feeding your babies!!

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

YUM Yum Yum!!!! I will definitely be giving these a whirl.
Thanks for sharing your Mum's recipe xox

Bron said...

Yes nothing beats homemade sausage rolls...mine don't last too long around here either. I love to top mine with poppy seeds. I could do with a food processor my hands get a work out with the mixing. xx

Anonymous said...

I’m creating a collaborative blog and I need to know if I can transform a blogspot blog into one where anyone can add content and edit or change the text. Maybe there is another type of blog whee you can do this.. Thanks everyone..

Hootnz said...

Oh yumbo! they look so delicious... thanks for the recipe :)

IndigoElephant :: Sash said...

You have me craving sausage rolls right now! I have be known to make some by squeezing out sausage meat into pastry, rolling up and baking, but yours sound waaay better!

Felicity said...

YUUUUUUUUUM!!!!

What perfect timing as we come into the cooler months - I can see these being an excellent addition to the teens weekend baking repertoire.

Happy weekend Lovely,
x

Jan Maree said...

Just found this post again but I need quantities - they sound so yum!