09 January 2011

styling is a fishy business

Greetings all,
The fish are gathering in numbers at our place. 
Ever since my manipulative well meaning sister gave my eldest daughter a fish for Christmas, the other children wanted one.  Seems pretty harmless, a school holiday activity.  I'm good at keeping children, plants & a dog alive, how hard can fish be??  Flash back to burying a Siamese Fighting Fish (complicated) earlier in the week, i asked the 'fish&chip shop' for simple, uncomplicated fish to keep alive.  My sister's original complicated fish lives on, very strong & beautiful. 
5 fantales for $20 seemed reasonable + $40 in plants, food, conditioner . . . & voila, here they are in the giant glass vases i bought mid week, with the pebbles & shells i teased you with in yesterday's post.
 After conditioning the water & balancing the temperature, they were released from their plastic travel bag into their new stylish homes.
 This large bowl is in our son's room, he loves it.  I think the blue Shanghai fighting ship mixed with the green ukelele from Hawaii screams for a styling award, non??  Especially teamed with a red bird house . . . ironic, eclectic, original, unique.  The art of unpredictable styling, that's my boy.  
 I had a fabulous green plant for this smaller bowl below, however, it proved a useless prop & space hog, so i'll get them a larger bowl tomorrow.  This is in the twin bedroom.
 I love my twin girl's idea of styling here, do you think the fish are happy with a sushi loving kokeshi doll hovering nearby OR the oven OR the glow in the dark light up IKEA pussy cat??  I wonder if fish suffer from stress??
I didn't want fish, now i kind of like them.  I don't like boxy fish tanks, now i love these huge shapely vases.  I wonder what i can find tomorrow . . . i mean stylish fish bowl substitutes, not more fish!!  Stop me!!  I also have to stop calling the Pet & Aquarium the 'fish&chip shop' it really annoys the children.  FYI we eat fish & chips about once a year so no idea why it keeps slipping out!!  Love Posie
PS I'm scheduling my posts to update after midnight, so they are fresh for the day & i enjoy a sleep in or morning exercise.  I won't be posting this often once my husband leaves/ school goes back/ real life resumes . . . but daily posts are so much fun!!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

If fishcould talk. Kx

Anonymous said...

I wonder how you managed to stay up so late Posie! Nice fish :O)

Brenda said...

And here I was thinking you were a bit of a night owl!

Blocks and Knocks said...

They really look lovely, so much nicer than the old square tank alternative. And they look beautiful being so fresh and new. I hope they live long lives:)

Tina said...

Loving the fish:) Our Lottie & Livvy have one each (in the same bowl), they have lasted nearly 2 years now! I bought a large round glass vase from Big W...much nicer than the plastic fishy tanks:S I love your vases Jennie, they look fabulous! Hope the sushi loving Kokeshi doll did not get peckish overnight;) Happy fish vase hunting today. Enjoy your Sunday ~ Txx

The Moerks said...

I know what you mean about fish tanks, they are as ugly as sin! I like your stylish bowls. I may have to try that with a couple of hurricane vases I have. The kids are always asking for fish. I would love to see what you find on your bowl hunting trip. Have a great day. ~Deb~

Simone - honeyandfizz said...

Love the vases as tanks. So much more stylish! Good luck with your fishies, unfortunately fish have never had a very long life in our house. xx

Kerry said...

I wonder if you'll still love them when the fish tank cleaning comes around :) HomeBase at Woden has some big glass vessels for not too much I think. Kokeshis and cats near the fishtank....too cool!

Maxabella said...

We have terrible experience with fish... I really love them but we ran out of reasons why Fluffy, Fish and Grunt might look slightly different week to week. x

Sharon@Roses and Rust said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and I'm very happy to have discovered yours. I also have twins amongst my four so we seem to have a few things in common! Best of luck with building your house. I hope you'll do some posts on the experience.

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Yay Happy New Year to you Jennie!
Gosh it looks Fishtastic! Hope all is well with you and yours, I know exactly what you mean about real life!! Yikes,

Sarah x

Photography said...

We have some fish (in a boring box like tank) They have survived for quite some time now I am impressed to say. Maybe time for a new addition :-)

Rachel said...

Cute fishy styling! I love fish and especially like them in unusual containers, surely they don't want to be in ugly boxes either. Had to laugh about the fish being anxious about the kokeshi doll being so close to the tank.

Lisar said...

Did you ever see the ad for sanitary napkins where the packet was sitting next to the fish bowl and the fish was mightily stressed and its owner took it to the pet shop man and hee asked where the bowl was kept? Your questions if fish get stressed just reminded me of this ad....

Cathie said...

i love the idea of fish, they look great in the vases.
hope they survive the glow in the dark pussycat.

Cate said...

Oh dear...I did love the sushi reference - poor fishies :-)
Good luck keeping them alive!
xxxCate

J said...

My mum used to have a huge aquarium and I admit I find them fishes relaxing to watch - swimming and all. Though cleaning was a drag.

Amanda said...

We had fish as children but I was never much good at keeping them alive and used to hate when it was time to clean the tank. I like the bowls yours are in.