11 February 2013
eleven opinions on the eleventh
I've been busy getting children back to school & organising my studio - every ribbon, pin & thread sorted - so quiet on the blog front. Inspired though . . . found a fantastic old lamp shade to restyle like these ones at Koskela in Sydney. Even discovered a cool twenty something hipster cousin of my husband's works there = excellent excuse to go back!!
Now my eleven opinions this month are random & i couldn't agree more with myself . . .
1. I appreciate rank, experience & hierarchy, however, why do they choose Popes when they are already so elderly?? Good on the current Pope for retiring, first one in 600 years.
2. Rihanna - still hanging around Chris Brown - my issue is: people saying "they are role models"?? How can a stranger, be a role model to you?? We only see their media projected image or when they are performing, they're family or friends. Here's a tip to those parents screaming "my child's sports/ movie/ singing hero has let them down" . . . BE YOUR OWN CHILD'S ROLE MODEL!! Also, take the opportunity to discuss domestic violence, what is not Ok & word your children up on toxic relationships, so they know one when they witness or experience one!!
3. Chrissie Swan, busted smoking while pregnant, oh dear. Now i am against smoking full stop, but attacking Chrissie - while pregnant & vulnerable - she knows the damage she is doing . . . threatening & lambasting her is not going to help anyone. How about some support, she's clearly ashamed & regretful, this is one demon she can't overcome alone, even for the health of her 3rd baby & hiding it from her partner.
4. Retail sales assistants who ignore you until you pick something up, then swoop in & offer "would you like me to hang that up in the dressing room??" When i'm holding ladies size 4-6 clothing, a fitting room is not going to be the first clue that size is not for me. I actually said to the last girl (after 5 stores with the same robotic speech) . . . "i'm not flattering myself, this is for my teenage daughter!!"
5. Whinging that "Valentine's Day is so commercial." So don't buy a card or flowers or chocolate or gifts. I'm not into 'festive' days to remember to tell someone you love them, however, why poo poo it - it means the world to many celebrating anniversaries & romance - why spoil it for them & find another reason to be negative about something you can easily chose to exclude from your life!!
6. Cyber friends on social media aren't real friends - i beg to differ - i've made some wonderful engaging friends via my blog & social networks - if we lived closer, i know we'd be great friends in real life.
7. Swearing in public is offensive & rude. Teenagers are the worst - loud, obnoxious, disrespectful & so desperate to be noticed for all the wrong reasons, they are such losers thinking they are all powerful because they can say a swear word. RightyO, do it in front of your mother or grandmother & watch hell unleash boys!! I tell our children that they represent our whole family when they are at school, parties, socials, sports & in public, they should be proud & respectful. They do believe we 'bug' them & know everything. Mwhahahahaha.
8. Don't knock it until you try it . . . i bought a Mel B fitness DVD & it's excellent!! Think old school cross training, using tins as hand weights & just get over her accent, she's funny.
9. Next time you feel ill or have a lazy day at home, hire a DVD & chill out, it's so relaxing. I did that today, better yet it was $1.95 New Release special & picked up a movie i knew nothing about - Jennifer Lawrence in The House at the End of the Street. Technically the house was next door & it was a teen movie . . . it had a twist & was a bit of a thriller.
10. I met a person last week who insisted they would NEVER drink plain water. I honestly thought that is being difficult for being difficult sake. They had no medical reason, just that high maintenance kind of person who is fussy beyond belief.
11. Of all the weight loss, diet & exercise programmes i've tried (since hitting 32 & gaining weight, long after babies, lost all that weight each time, this is frustrating) Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation is excellent. Yes, it's all stuff we know, eat in portions & exercise, however, she brings it all together with enthusiasm & great recipes, balanced with the exercise that day, she holds your hand, it's brilliant & it works!! I've just started another round & i'm excited.
Have great weeks everyone, love Posie