21 June 2012

my creative space . . . 'craft retreat'

Greetings all,
I strongly believe the nicest community in blogland is we crafty folks.  Sure there are those protective of their images, patterns, products, & others who complain about people stealing their ideas . . . yet for most of us, we blog to share.  Even better, lots of us attend all manner of blog based events focused on craft, like Sew It Together.  It's positively the most pleasant way to meet fellow crafty bloggers, sitting at classes & around tables with our needles & fabrics, crochet & knitting, chattering away.  Shock horror, the average age is below 40!!
When SIT was in Canberra a weekend ago, i sat next to Julie from Relish, a fellow Canberra girl whom i'd met briefly at handmade markets - too busy to chat - so this was my chance to talk her ear off.  I couldn't help but covet this pretty hexagon pencil case which she received in a swap (craft swaps are amazing, they even involve a dance!!) 
 At the bigger craft retreats/ events, there are sponsored goodie bags & lucky door prizes.  Last year at SIT i was one of the last pulled out of the hat, yet thrilled to pick up a prize from pin-up-girl Gillian of Silly Gilly - vintage sewing goodies - this year i hit the jackpot & scored a 'Wendy' Polly Pratt dress ($176) which basically voided the cost of the craft weekend, as i was going to purchase a dress anyway.  
If you love a beautifully made dress in stunning fabrics, check out Anna's Polly Pratt blog & sale, with dresses at $100, starts Friday night: ends Sunday 8p.m.!!  Thank you Anna, love you & the generous pretty fabric donation to Aussie Hero Quilts for our girlie soldiers serving overseas.    











The Saturday night of SIT included more pop up shopping stalls (including a $2FQ clearance sale from me, that was like Boxing Day sales, thank you ladies!!) & i picked up fabrics from other stalls, sharing the love, along with more of Claire's Craft Schmaft patterns.  FYI Claire is looking for pattern testers right now!!
 The Sunday of the SIT weekend was a paint & stencil class.  I was so impressed with what Sheridan of Sew It Together had learned from Lotta Jansdotter herself, i quickly ordered the same Lotta hard plastic stencils on line & they have already arrived!! 
 I had a little stitching planned for today, however, i just did a big slip over at the shops this morning (while holding my husband's hand, i slid down his side, he let me go) in new ankle boots from the Trenery sale, damn new leather soles & jarred my tennis elbow.  He just stood there looking at me on the floor, trying to work out what happened . . . especially confused as i was laughing.  So it's an icepack, Mollie & Frankie for me instead.  
 So do consider joining in a blog event that suits your interests, you're guaranteed to meet lovely like minded folks & enjoy.  For more creative spaces, check out Village Voices My Creative Space today, love Posie

20 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Gorgeous! Fab post...totally agree...Went to the Sydney Quilt show (1st time in 10 years) to have a Blogmeet...totally awesome...I felt like I knew some of these gals for ages...I know where you are coming from...Have a beautiful day...love Dzintra xoxo

Sarah B said...

Gosh that sounds like fun but I doubt we'll see one in Hobart soon. Who knows? I have done a couple of Fibre Forums and have never felt quite so inspired.
Oh the new Mollie Makes and Frankie - I'm home sick so it would be great if the postie would bring my copy today!
Ps pretty dress! X

Jan Maree said...

Aussie Heroes is going to be making some mighty pretty girly quilts once those lovely fabrics arrive. Thanks for thinking of us!

Miriam said...

Wow what a great time and great bits and pieces. I love the blogging community too - the Christchurch bloggers get together quite a lot and they are SO friendly

Cath said...

It is such a shame SIT is only once a year! What a fabulous time we all had at the offical SIT events and the non-official YHA ones some of us experienced...with Thermomix hot chocs at midnight, standing on the street in minus temps in our pj's whilst fire men declare a false alarm!! What a hoot! Can't wait for the next one! Hope to see you before then... xxx

Karen said...

So delighted to share in a lovely weekend with you and I have been meaning to write to say thank you for the lifts to and from and around Canberra - very much appreciated in your lovely new van!
Your stencils arrived quickly - more fun to be had.

Unknown said...

I so wish I could have gone to SIT this year. I went to the first one, in Melbourne and it was so much fun, and with all the give-aways and door-prizes and goody bag contents, very good value for money.

The quilts sound like a fabulous idea.

I hope you're feeling better soon and able to get back into your crafting, maybe the magazines will provide some extra inspiration?

polly pratt said...

Oh i hope you recover soon from your fall. I hope the fabric is enjoyed while and once sewn. Thanks for everything and as Karen said all the lifts.

x

Tania McCartney said...

So lovely to hear about your crafty weekend - and I LOVE the frock! xx

Jodi Wiley said...

There are worse ways to recover than reading Frankie and Molly makes ;)

Unknown said...

What an amazing weekend it was! I loved the frenzy that your $2 fat quarters created, we were like animals sorting through those big baskets on the floor!

It was lovely to see you and I don't know about you, but I can't wait for next year to do it all again! xx

Jan @ MiniYou.com.au said...

Nice pieces! I love handmade crafts and I am just amazed with these quilt ideas. Great way to preserve your most precious family mementos and your child's treasured bits and pieces.

Way to go SIT!

fee @ chipper nelly said...

oooh sorry - I had a small chuckle at your fall (anyone falling makes me laugh! not good)
Cleggy once went for a 'ride' on his trolley and came a cropper - it tipped, he fell back and it landed on top of him. He had a bag of 'mixed salad' in said trolley, which popped loudly, gaining the attention of anyone who would otherwise have missed it!
I wasn't there...but I still laugh when I think about it now. NOONE helped him up. He still fears that the staff have it on CCTV and watch it in the back office!

Anyway, must say I love the fabric of that dress. AND I have a giveaway going on over at mine...pop over when you have a minute recovering!
fee x

lamina@do a bit said...

I totally agree that the creative crsfty community it the best :) SIT sound really excellent and inspiring! Love your pencil... case very cute!

The Sage Butterfly said...

So many beautiful things on a beautiful blog. Enjoyed my visit!

Kirrily said...

Hello - thanks for dropping by my blog...I thought I'd return the favour and come over to say hello. I was intrigued to find that you are a "military wife" as I have always been an Army Brat - born while my dad was on his first posting and growing up in various towns near army bases. He only retired a few years back now and, thankfully, was never sent overseas for more than just exercises. I look forward to coming by and seeing what you get up to craft wise :). Kirrily.

Maryanne said...

SIT was such a fabulous weekend wasn't it? And having never been before it was so lovely to meet such a lovely bunch of friendly and welcoming crafters. I was one of those people fighting over your gorgeous $2 fat quarters and ended up buying quite a collection. Every so often I go into my sewing room, check it out and give it a little pat!! It makes me happy. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

A family member linked me to this site. Thanks for the information.
my web site - Furniture Makers Brisbane

Cas said...

I myself am so pleased I went along & got to meet awesome ladies (such as yourself) being a newbie was a little daunting, but having you pick us up from the airport at an ungodly hour with a huge smile & most welcoming personality put at ease right away :) you guys rocked & I so look forward to the next SIT & keeping in touch.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

The Mollies are running late this month, love Posie