09 September 2011

things i'm loving . . . 'athletics carnival, high school style'

Greetings all,
I have always looked forward to my children starting high school.  I LOVED high school, the friends, the sports, the work, the parties, it was so much fun.  I did 5 sports a year - softball, netball, tennis, cricket + athletics.  My husband was super sporty too - athletics, tennis, swimming, hockey & water polo.  I love that our children are naturally sporty, it's so healthy & great for self confidence. 
I can't believe i'm already attending high school athletics carnivals.  I was SO excited this week.  Handsome soldier took our daughter early to run the 1500m (she came a energy-less 2nd place, after her virus, i'm amazed she could run at all).  
I love the track & field centre at the Australian Institute of Sports, you can move around & watch all the events your children are (like discus way over the other side or triple jump along the edge of the track).
 I am loving my daughter's high school so much, their attitude is amazing.  They are all about participation & encourage girls to dress up (so they turn up), it's a party atmosphere.  While my children are competitive & try their hardest, in high school . . . some girls have no desire to compete in sports . . . so the school offers participation points just for entering.  They run serious races, then non-competitive, where you'll see girls link arms & run together. 
 It's a large school, split into 6 houses.  My daugther's house is the smallest & they don't win anything, not even debating or choir, but they are enthusiastic.  Their dress up theme was 'ninjas' & most were dressed in full black or karate outfits.  The green house were 'terror' so there were lots of zombies & vampires, which looked hilarious as they ran down the track, some with axes attacking fellow racers!!  The blue house were 'toys' so there were Bananas In Pyjamas doing javelin & Cookie Monsters doing long jump.  Not sure why but there were lots of red power rangers too.  EDIT: red house were 'aliens & astronauts'.  Also, the announcer/ teacher wore a scream mask all day & it was so hilarious!!    
 Our sweet daughter is officially the youngest girl in the entire school (she skipped a year) & she amazes me with her petit size that she finishes in the top 5 of most events.  She competed in a dozen jumps, throws & running races, even started off the relay for her house.  The year 12 relays were fantastic, each team included a teacher & the male PE staff stole the show.  Another really cool event was The Flash - where the fastest 100m runner from each age group, ran against each other, to find the fastest girl at school. 
My husband set up a picnic rug on the hill & we had a great view, far away from the screaming cheerleaders.  I tell you, 1100 high school girls can scream, loudly, all day.  Even i left with a headache.  For more Things I'm Loving visit Paisley Jade, love Posie

11 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

Well done to your girl! Sounds like a lovely school, it's a great & comforting feeling to have when you 'get'the school, their culture & their community. I hope we have this in high school, I'll sure miss what we have now..

Felicity said...

What a day!
What a school!
What a family!

xx's Felicity

Farmers Wifey said...

That is so awesome....and how amazing you played so many sports! I want my kids to be active and healthy too and so sports here we come!

polkadotpeticoat said...

How exciting....I love watching my kids compete its so exciting! well done.
tomorrow is his date I will keep you posted.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Go McClellands!!!

Sindy said...

oh what fun - I am so proud (especially since I can enjoy the photos from 15000km away, and not have to suffer through the high school cheerleaders!)
T x

Elisha said...

Sounds wonderful... how noisy are school kids! I dont know how the teachers manage...

PaisleyJade said...

haha! Love the pics. Yay!!

Bron said...

Looks like Canberra turned on a beautiful day for all the fun of the carnival and fun it did sound. Glad your man was around to help you all celebrate.

Sam said...

Sounds like a great school! I went to my son's first cross country recently(he's in prep), it was so cute, he went so hard that he was puffed out after the first lap (the look of determination on his face was priceless), can't wait for all the sports carnivals :)Sam

Margie said...

Oh man Jennie, I remember those high school sports days. A fleeting memory at this point. My kids did sports only because it was required. They weren't particularly athletic, neither are their parents, LOL!